Friday, August 2, 2013

Like to be teased? Come on in...



If you haven't checked out the TLS Angst Contest entries because you aren't sure which ones you really want to read and don't have time to read all of them... no worries. I've got a teaser from each entry for you and I'll be posting two a day, everyday until public voting opens on August 14th! This way, you can read all of them or just the ones that grab you! There are so many excellent entries in this one contest that I'd hate for you all to miss out on this, so you can find me here, each day... hooking you up with some angsty teasers!

Let's go: 

"This again, Bella?" I moan quietly into my phone, my words amplified in the stillness of the dark kitchen. My eyes dart toward the hallway, nervous that the front door may open at any time.
"Please," she begs, her voice trembling. "I need to see you."
I lean forward and rest my elbows on the island counter. As I consider her request, I rub a hand down my face and across my mouth. Back and forth the decision swings within my head, first one way and then the other. We both know what I'll decide; the same thing I always do. She knows, or she wouldn't bother to ask. I know, or I wouldn't still be on the phone. So here I am, humoring the both of us.
"Fuck," I spit in frustration, hating us both just a little.
"I'm sorry," she breathes.
"No, you're not," I tell her. Silence. No denial.
"So you'll come?" she asks.
I sigh.
"Give me thirty minutes," I say.
I pull onto her driveway and my headlamps sweep across her. She's huddled on the doorstep with her knees pulled up under her chin and one arm wrapped around her bare legs. She lifts a cigarette to her lips with her free hand. I cut the engine and unbuckle my seatbelt but make no move to go to her and she doesn't come to me; she merely watches me as she sucks on that damn cigarette and gently blows the smoke away again. Eventually she has sucked everything it has to offer, and she tosses it away. Her legs unfold as she rises to her feet to reveal the tank top and tiny sleep shorts she's wearing. Her head tilts to invite me in, the ponytail at the back of her head swaying with the action.
I can't control the sigh that escapes my lips as my fingers find the cold metal of the door handle and pull it until it clicks. I step from the car, pushing the door closed and pressing the fob to lock it as she leans against the door frame and waits for me.
"I thought you'd quit smoking," I say, not bothering to try and hide my disgust as I grow near. She looks me up and down lazily and pushes away from where she was resting. She sways a little as she steps towards me, and even though she bats her eyelashes and smiles at me with the look of a predator stalking its prey, I can see the lines of smudged mascara on her cheeks and the pink puffiness above her top lip that she gets when she cries a lot.
"I thought you weren't coming when I called again," she replies. I duck my head and run my hand through my hair in frustration. She's right; that's exactly what I told her the last time I was here. I shake my head and turn to walk wordlessly back to my car.
"Wait!" she says, her voice catching on the word as her hand catches on the hem of my suit jacket. "Don't go."

Obsessions of a Scathed Heart Read more here: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9509276/1/Obsessions-of-a-Scathed-Heart

"Don't worry, Mrs. Swan, there's no hurry, we're all set to see you. I'm Pastor Weber by the way, and you'll be meeting one of your co-workers and two of the members of the Church board. Please follow me this way."
He leads the way through the foyer, which is pretty huge, and down a corridor to the left where the offices seem to be situated. At the end of the corridor is a door, and when we step inside I see that this must be his office, which is crammed full of people. A man in his thirties who looks like a bank manager, well dressed and groomed, with slicked back dark hair, a cleft chin and elegant glasses turns out to be the chairman of the church board, Mr. Groenig.
A woman in her fifties, dressed in a jacket and skirt with low heels, looking like the matron of a boarding school is Mrs. Cope, member of the board and in charge of the volunteers for the Sunday school. Finally, I'm introduced to the second pastor, Edward Cullen, who can't be much older than me, artfully tousled auburn hair, well-defined jawline, dressed in a white shirt and light grey blazer with a matching tie. He looks casual but dressy, giving off a sort of Miami Vice-vibe. I'm starting to feel underdressed in my light blouse and khaki skirt. I decide the young pastor is far too handsome for his own good and seems supercilious and smug. I clear my throat.
"Actually, it's Ms Swan. I'm married to Jacob Black, but I've kept my maiden name, which is Swan. Please call me Bella."
Mr. Cullen smiles and I don't like it, because it looks like a smile he knows has an effect on people.

Near Wild Heaven Read more here: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9509283/1/Near-Wild-Heaven

For teasers from our other entries, scroll back one blog post and stay tuned each day, for two new teasers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Photobucket